Professor Dr. Hartmut Herrmann
Leibniz Institute for
Phone: +49 341 2717-7024
Mail: hartmut.herrmann at tropos.de
Room: 001 (Building 23.1)
Head of the Atmospheric Chemistry Department at the Leibniz-Institute for Tropospheric Research (TROPOS), Leipzig
Research areas & research interest
- Our research intends to understand the tropospheric multiphase system.
- Model development is based on experimental work in the laboratory and in the field.
- Lab work utilises state-of-the-art physical and analytical chemistry methods to study gas phase, aqueous phase, organic phase, surface and, alltogether, multiphase phenomena.
- Field work aims to understand chemical processing and composition of tropospheric particles, clouds, fog and rain in the complex interplay of all compartments involved.
- “SOPRAN III”
- "ALAMARE“ Aliphatic amines in the tropical marine environment: Sources, budgets and phase partitioning
- “Hill Cap Cloud Thuringia 2010 (HCCT-2010)” A ground-based integrated study of chemical aerosol-cloud interaction”
- “Hygroscopicity and Activation of Secondary Organic Aerosols”
- „MISOX II“ Studies on multiphase chemistry of Isoprenoxidation
- "Branko" Specification of the water-soluble brown carbon in aerosol particles
- "PHOTOPAQ“ Demonstration of Photocatalytic Remediation Processes on Air Quality”
- “PEGASOS” Pan-European Gas-AeroSOls-climate interaction Study
- AMIS / IRSIS
- UBA EMEP Level 3
- "ACTRIS” Aerosol, Clouds and Trace gases Research Infrastructure Network
- Fassade MFPA GmbH Leipzig
- Grain size Differentiated chemical and physical aerosol characterization as an indicator of the chang e in air quality compared to 2000 in Leipzig and Saxony "
- „DARK KNIGHT“ The atmospheric chemistry day of key compounds influenced by the atmospheric chemistry night
In total 68 third-party funded research projects with about 7 Mio Euro funding for the group.
(Selection of 5)
- Oceanic Surface Processes in the Anthropocene – SOPRAN, BMBF
- Aerosol chamber studies for ozonolysis of terpenes and isoprene: Influence of acid particles aerosol yields and products Leibniz-Institute for Tropospheric Research Leipzig, DFG
- ATMOCHEM „Modelling the multiphase evolution of organic carbon in the troposphere“ DFG
- MISOX “Tropospheric Multiphase Processing of Isoprene Oxidation Products” DFG
- EUROCHAMP II „Integration of European Simulation Chambers for Investigating Atmospheric Processes“ EU,
Professor of Atmospheric Chemistry at the University of Leipzig
- Lecture “Chemistry of the atmosphere – Basics”
- Lecture “The tropospheric multiphase system”
- Seminar: Atmospheric Chemistry
- Lab Course: Atmospheric Chemistry
- Students individual lab courses
- Deutsche Bunsengesellschaft für Physikalische Chemie (DBG)
- Gesellschaft Deutscher Chemiker (GDCh)
- Section Photochemie the GDCh
- Section Wasserchemie the GDCh
- Head of the working group Atmosphärenchemie the GDCh in the Section of Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology
- DECHEMA/GDCh/Bunsengesellschaft Joint Committee "Chemie, Luftqualität und Klima" (CLK)" ·
- ProcessNet Working Committee "Feinstaub" by DECHEMA, GDCH and KRdL, Co-Chair (with R. Zellner and T. Eikmann)
- Fellow of International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry - IUPAC (since 2002)
- Appointed member of the Scientific Advisory Board der „Kommission Reinhaltung der Luft“ (KRdL) in VDI and DIN (2003-2012)