Two engineers (m, w, div, n.a.) for the installation and operation of atmospheric observatories.
The Leibniz Institute for Tropospheric Research is a research institute of the Leibniz Association and an internationally renowned institute in the field of aerosol and cloud research.
The Atmospheric Chemistry Department (ACD) is looking for two experienced and motivated engineers to set up and operate the following two atmospheric observatories within the European research infrastructure ACTRIS (www.actris.eu):
- Schmücke Cloud Observatory (SCO) near the city of Suhl, Thuringia, Germany
- Melpitz Research Station near Torgau, Germany
- Implement a suite of research instruments to measure atmospheric composition in the gas, particle, and water phases, including on-line mass spectrometers (ACSM, PTR-MS, CIMS), on-line OC/EC instruments, trace gas monitors, filter samplers, cloud water samplers, droplet spectrometers, and others. This includes installation of infrastructure, e.g., inlets, sampling lines, as well as on-site instrumentation.
- Implement or assist in the development of ACTRIS quality assurance (QA/QC) measures and standard operating procedures (SOP) for the metrics of the respective devices if not already in place.
- Implementation of workflows for data processing, data control and data transfer in accordance with the ACTRIS data center guidelines
- Operation of the equipment in accordance with ACTRIS guidelines and standard operating procedures.
- Regular maintenance, quality control and calibration of the equipment both on site and in the TROPOS ACD laboratories
- Regular validation and transmission of the acquired data as well as their visualization and analysis
- Participation in ACTRIS comparison workshops at European topic centers providing support for the respective device
- Participate in ACTRIS and other events, including conferences, technical tutorials, workshops, etc.
- Support in preparation for and participation in ACTRIS-related intensive measurement phases at observatories.
- Degree (Bachelor's or Master's) at the college or university level in a technical discipline such as chemical engineering, physical engineering, environmental engineering, or a related discipline.
- high intrinsic motivation, ability to work independently and as part of a team, competent cooperation with international teams
- strong organizational skills
- very good knowledge of the German and English language
- Valid EU driver's license and willingness to travel frequently to job sites, including overnight stays (especially at SCO).
- Experience with data processing programs such as IGOR, R, MATLAB, etc. including programming skills would be a plus.
- Knowledge and experience with atmospheric in-situ instrumentation, including online mass spectrometry and offline instrumentation, would be an asset
- Background knowledge in atmospheric chemistry and physics would be an advantage
- If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Laurent Poulain for Melpitz (poulain[at]tropos.de), Dr. Dominik van Pinxteren for SCO (dominik[at]tropos.de) or Prof. Dr. Hartmut Herrmann (herrmann[at]tropos.de) for general questions.
- The opportunity to work in the Atmospheric Chemistry Division (ACD) of TROPOS, a vibrant international group of colleagues who will support you in further developing your career.
- Fixed-term contracts between 3 and 4 years, but not beyond the end of the ACTRIS-D implementation phase (July 31, 2026). Depending on available funding, an extension into the 10-year ACTRIS-D operational phase could be offered in the future.
- an exciting workplace in lively Leipzig with a varied job in an interdisciplinary work environment and a variety of work-life balance offers as well as flexible working hours and daycare facilities.
- Remuneration is in accordance with TV-L.
TROPOS and TROPOS ACD value the diversity of its employees and pursue the goals of equal opportunity. The institute aims to increase the proportion of women in research and therefore encourages qualified women to apply. People with severe disabilities have priority in hiring if they have the same aptitude, ability, and professional qualifications.
Please send your complete, informative documents in written or electronic form with the keyword: ACD-Ing by March 31, 2023, exclusively electronically to bewerbung[at]tropos.de.
By submitting the application documents by e-mail, the applicant agrees to the storage/processing of personal data in accordance with Art. 13 DSGVO for the purpose of selection for this job advertisement. The risks of sending documents electronically are hereby pointed out.