Two research engineers (m, f, div, n.d.) for implementation and operation of atmospheric observatories
The Leibniz Institute for Tropospheric Research is part of the Leibniz Association and an internationally renowned institute in the field of aerosol and cloud research.
The Atmospheric Chemistry Department (ACD) is looking for two experienced and motivated research engineers to help setting up and run the following two atmospheric observatories in the framework of the ACTRIS European research infrastructure (www.actris.eu):
- Schmücke Cloud Observatory (SCO) close to the city of Suhl, Thuringia, Germany
- Melpitz research station outside the city of Leipzig, Germany
- Implementation of a range of research instrumentation to measure the atmospheric composition in the gas-, particle- and aqueous-phase, including online mass spectrometers (ACSM, PTR-MS, CIMS), online OC/EC instruments, trace gas monitors, filter samplers, cloud water collectors, droplet spectrometers and others. This includes installations of both infrastructure, e.g. inlets, sampling lines, and the instruments on-site.
- Implementing ACTRIS QA/QC measures and standard operating procedures for the measurement variables provided by the instruments or supporting their development, where they do not exist yet
- Implementing the data processing, data checks, and data submission workflows according to the ACTRIS data centre guidelines
- Operate the instruments according to ACTRIS guidelines and standard operating procedures
- Regular maintenance, quality checks and calibrations of the instrument both at the field sites and in the TROPOS laboratories
- Regular validation and submission of obtained data, as well as its visualization and analysis
- Participation at ACTRIS intercomparison workshops at European Topic Centres providing support for the instruments
- Participation at further ACTRIS and related non-ACTRIS events including conferences, technical tutorials, workshops, etc.
- Support in preparation as well as participation in ACTRIS-related intensive field campaigns at the observatories
- Support in the preparation of ACTRIS-related project proposals and scientific publications
- Full University Master´s degree (or equivalent) in an engineering discipline, such as chemical engineering, physical engineering, environmental engineering or a related one
- Experience with data processing tools like IGOR, MATLAB, R, etc. including programming skills
- Knowledge and experience in atmospheric in-situ instrumentation including online mass spectrometry as well as offline measuring instruments would be beneficial
- Background in atmospheric chemistry and physics would be beneficial
- High intrinsic motivation, ability to work independently and as part of a team, competent interaction with international teams
- Strong organizational skills
- Proficient knowledge of German and English languages
- Valid EU driving license and the willingness to frequently travel to the field sites, including overnight stays (especially at SCO)
For further inquiries, please contact Dr. Laurent Poulain for Melpitz (poulain[at]tropos.de), Dr. Dominik van Pinxteren for SCO (dominik[at]tropos.de) or Prof. Dr. Hartmut Herrmann (herrmann[at]tropos.de) for all questions concerning TROPOS ACD as a whole.
You will be offered:
- The opportunity to work in the Atmospheric Chemistry Division (ACD) of TROPOS, a dynamic international group of colleagues who will support you in further developing your career.
- A temporary contract for 3 years (SCO) or 4 years (Melpitz) during the implementation phase, with the prospect of extension into the operational phase of ACTRIS-D, depending on available funding.
- Exposure to a network of experts and students in an interdisciplinary team to enhance your communication skills and career prospects.
- A salary according to the collective agreement for the public service up to TV-L 13 including the attractive social benefits of the public service.
- A varied job in an interdisciplinary work environment and a diverse range of work and family options, as well as flexible working hours and childcare facilities.
- The employment is temporary and comprises a full-time position with 40 hours per week.
- Location in Leipzig, a very dynamic city in Saxony, cf. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leipzig
Please send your application including a letter of motivation, curriculum vitae, certificates, your earliest possible availability, by 15.11.2022 exclusively by e-mail in one PDF document to to under the keyword “ACD-Ing”: bewerbung[at]tropos.de
By submitting the application documents by e-mail, the applicant agrees to the storage/processing of personal data in accordance with Art. 13 DSGVO for the purpose of selecting applicants for this job advertisement. The risks involved in sending documents electronically are hereby pointed out.