PhD student (m/f/d/ns) - (LACIS-T)
The Leibniz Institute for Tropospheric Research (TROPOS) with its approximately 180 employees is an internationally renowned institution for interdisciplinary application-oriented fundamental research in the field of aerosols and clouds and their interaction with each other. Currently, TROPOS is expanding its laboratory activities on turbulence and microphysics in clouds. In this context, the department "Experimental Aerosol and Cloud Microphysics", working group "Clouds", is looking for a
PhD student (m/f/d/ns)
The part-time position (75%, 30 hours/week) to be filled as of 01.08.2022 is limited to 3 years.
Experimental and numerical investigations on the influence of cloud turbulence on cloud droplet formation in warm and supercooled clouds.
- Experimental investigations at the turbulent moist air wind tunnel LACIS-T (Turbulent Leipzig Aerosol Cloud Interaction Simulator).
- Numerical simulations with OpenFOAM
- Comparison with atmospheric observations
- Completed studies in meteorology, physics, mechanical/process engineering or a comparable field of study.
- Experimental experience in the field of turbulent flows and/or cloud microphysical processes
- Knowledge and experience in the fields of acquisition/processing of measurement data
- Good programming skills in at least one programming language, preferably Python and C/C++
- Open-minded, structured and result-oriented way of thinking and working
- Confident handling of the English language, both written and spoken
We offer you:
- A salary according to TV-L 13, including the attractive social benefits of the public service.
- Collaboration in an interdisciplinary and multinational team with excellent integration into national and international research networks
- Excellent technical equipment
- An exciting job with a varied activity in an interdisciplinary working environment and a variety of work and family offers as well as flexible working hours and daycare places
If you are interested, please send your complete and informative application documents (CV, cover letter with description of career, education and research interests, references as well as contact details of two references) by 03 June 2022 exclusively by e-mail in one coherent PDF document to:
Please contact us if you have any questions about this job opportunity:
Dr. Dennis Niedermeier, dennis.niedermeier[at]tropos.de, +49-341-2717-7324 or
Dr. Frank Stratmann, frank.stratmann[at]tropos.de, +49-341-2717-7142
By sending the application documents by e-mail, the applicant agrees to the storage/processing of personal data for the purpose of selection for this job advertisement in accordance with Art. 13 DSGVO. Attention is hereby drawn to the risks associated with the electronic transmission of documents.
TROPOS values the diversity of its employees and pursues the goals of equal opportunity. Selection for the position is made without regard to religion, national origin, political affiliation, marital status, or other differences. In order to increase the proportion of female employees in scientific and science-related positions, we hereby specifically invite female candidates to apply. People with severe disabilities have priority in the hiring process if they have the same suitability, aptitude and professional qualifications.