PhD student (f/ m/ x) for the project „Developing an on-line parameterization approach for predicting the ambient organic aerosol hygroscopicity based on High- Resolution AMS measurements “
The Leibniz Institute for Tropospheric Research is part of the Leibniz Association and an internationally renowned institute in the field of aerosol and cloud research.
We are looking for a highly motivated PhD student to work on the development of an on-line parameterization approach for improving the prediction of the ambient organic aerosol hygroscopicity.
Several atmospheric processes are driven by water take-up ability (hygroscopicity) of the atmospheric aerosol particles such particle light scattering, cloud droplet formation, activation of cloud condensation nuclei (CCN), altering the hydrological cycle as well as the cloud radiative forcing. Despite the importance of the organic aerosol to the sub-micrometer particle mass concentration, there is still a large gap in our knowledge on its contribution to the overall hygroscopicity.
The project aims to develop a comprehensive parameterization of the organic hygroscopicity properties of aerosol particles based on a multi-dimensional and original combination of a High Resolution-Time of Flight-Aerosol Mass Spectrometer (HR-ToF-AMS) and Hygroscopicity Tandem Differential Analyzer (HTDMA) for laboratory as well as field campaign measurements.
As a part of a multidisciplinary group of scientists involving the Tropospheric aerosol group and the atmospheric chemistry department, the hired PhD will be tasked in detail
- To perform the laboratory measurements using the HR-ToF-AMS and HTDMA
- To take part of the two field campaigns planed (national and international)
- To perform comprehensive parameterization of the prediction of the organic aerosol hygroscopic properties using machine learning or a comprehensive approach
Interested candidates should
- have obtained a degree (M.Sc. or equivalent) in chemistry, meteorology or related geosciences
- have basic knowledge of atmospheric chemistry and physics
- previous experiences in Aerosol mass spectrometer (AMS or ACSM) and/or aerosol hygroscopicity (H-TDMA) will be strongly appreciated
- knowledge in programming language, machine learning, Igor Pro or R
- be fluent in English (written and spoken)
Position is offered for 3 years (65% TV-L).
- a motivation letter including a statement of interest and suitability for this project
- a detailed curriculum vitae that includes information on academic qualifications and results
- in case of previous academic employments, provide the name, address, and telephone number of a reference
Priority will be given to severely handicapped persons with equal professional and medical suitability.
TROPOS seeks to increase the proportion of women in the scientific sector. Women are therefore strongly encouraged to apply, and will be given preference in cases of equal professional suitability.
Applications should be sent as one integrated PDF document by 25.07.2021 to: bewerbung[at]tropos.de
Further information on this PhD position: