PhD student positions (m, f, div)
The Leibniz Institute for Tropospheric Research is part of the Leibniz Association and an internationally renowned institute in the field of aerosol and cloud research. In the Atmospheric Chemistry Department the tropospheric multiphase system is investigated by field measurements and analysis, laboratory studies and multiphase modelling.
In the framework of the project OCEAN-GATE we are looking for highly motivated PhD students to work on the topic of interactions between marine aerosol particles and the ocean surface. Specifically, the project OCEAN-GATE aims at gaining a better understanding on the origin of atmospheric relevant organic matter compounds in marine aerosol particles in the Antarctic regarding oceanic transfer and in-situ production by combining tank and field experiments.
- Application of analytical methods for the determination of organic trace components (proteins, amino acids, polysaccharides) in marine field samples (aerosol particles, seawater)
- Evaluation, analysis and interpretation of the measurement data within the framework of the doctoral thesis
- Close interdisciplinary cooperation with the other international project partners
- Co-organisation and participation in laboratory and field measurement campaigns
- The PhD candidate will participate a ship campaign over several weeks in the Southern Ocean / Antarctica in the beginning of 2023
Applicants should have a Master’s degree in chemistry, biochemistry, environmental sciences, or related disciplines. Experiences in atmospheric sciences and analytical chemistry (e.g. HPLC-MS) is desired. Knowledge of atmospheric measurement techniques, experience of data analysis using statistical methods, and knowledge of programming languages like R, Matlab or Python are of advantage.
Fluent English in written and oral form is mandatory. A cumulative dissertation including three publications in scientific peer-reviewed journals will be expected.
You will be offered:
- The opportunity to work in an international group of collaborative colleagues that will support you in obtaining your career goals.
- Exposure to a network of experts and students in an interdisciplinary team to enhance your communication skills and career perspectives.
- Flexible working hours and children day-care opportunities for applicants with children.
- A salary level according to the German public service regulation (65% TV-L 13) including the attractive social benefits of the public sector.
In order to increase the proportion of female employees in scientific and academic positions, we specifically invite female candidates to apply. People with severe disabilities have priority in their recruitment if they have the same aptitude and professional qualifications.
Please send your application including a letter of motivation, curriculum vitae, certificates, your earliest possible availability, and, if possible, contact details of 2 references by 15 February 2022 exclusively by e-mail in one PDF document to bewerbung[at]tropos.de
The position should preferably start in April 2022 and is limited to three years.
By submitting the application documents by e-mail, the applicant agrees to the storage/processing of personal data in accordance with Art. 13 DSGVO for the purpose of selecting applicants for this job advertisement. The risks involved in sending documents electronically are hereby pointed out.