Professor Dr. Alfred Wiedensohler
Leibniz Institute for
Phone: +49 341 2717-7062
Mail: alfred.wiedensohler at tropos.de
Room: 202 (Geb. 23.1)
Head of the Department Experimental Aerosol & Cloud Microphysics
Department Experimental Aerosol & Cloud Microphysics
Alfred Wiedensohler studied electrical engineering at the University Duisburg, Germany, and received his Diploma July 1983. From October 1983 until April 1989, he has employed as PhD student in the research group Process and Aerosol Measurement Technology at the University Duisburg and received his PhD in electrical engineering June 1989.
May 1989, he joined the Department of Nuclear Physics at the Lund University, Sweden as research scientist and later as Assistant Professor.
Since January 1994, he works as senior scientist at the Leibniz Institute for Tropospheric Research, Leipzig Germany and leads jointly with Dr. Frank Stratmann the “Aerosol and Cloud” Department.
In January 1996, he received the associate professorship and since May 2005, he is Professor at Institute for Meteorology, Faculty of Physics and Geo-Science, University of Leipzig.
In December 2004, he received the award of a Guest Professor at the College of Environmental Science and Technology of the Peking University, Beijing, China.
He is head of the World Calibration Centre for Aerosol Physical of the WMO (World Meteorological Organization) in the frame of the Global Atmosphere Watch Programme (GAW).
He is Editor-In-Chief of the journal “Atmospheric Environment” since January 2013
In 2014, he received the award “Highly Cited Researcher” from Thomson Reuters (Web-of-Knowledge) and the “Hagen-Smit” award from the Journal Atmospheric Environment.
He is author or co-author of more than 300 peer-reviewed publications in the field of aerosol and natural science. His research is presently focused on the physical characterization, process studies, and the climatology of atmospheric aerosols as well as on the development of new scientific instrumentation.
Professor at the Institute for Meteorology at the University of Leipzig
International Aerosol Training Courses in the frame of the World Calibration Center for Aerosol Physics
- Editor-In-Chief “Atmospheric Environment”
- Head of the WMO-GAW “World Calibration Center for Aerosol Physics”
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Committee of ACTRIS
- Work package leader ACTRIS NA3
- Editor “Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics”
- Associate Editor "Atmospheric Measurement Techniques"
- Chairman of the DKK working group “Afrika”
- Member of CEN/TC 264/WG 32: Working group Air quality - Determination of the particle number concentration
- Member of the VDI working group “Messen von Partikeln in der Außenluft - Bestimmung der Partikelanzahl“