Dr. Patric Seifert
Leibniz Institute for Tropospheric Research (TROPOS)
Phone: +49 341 27177080
Room: 116 (Building 23.2)
Research areas & research interest
- Ensure availability and continuity of the ground-based remote-sensing observations performed with the LACROS instrument suite
- Investigation of the effect of aerosols on ice formation processes based on cloud and aerosol observations performed with LACROS
- Evaluation of the effect of aerosol particles on the forecast skill of numerical weather forecast models
- Operation and extension of the Cloudnet data processing scheme to derive continuous datasets of aerosol and cloud microphysical properties and type.
- Work with students and performing outreach activities – aiming to show both: how TROPOS contributes to the understanding to aerosol-cloud interaction, and the vast carrier options one has in atmospheric sciences.
- DACAPO-PESO: Operation of LACROS in Punta Arenas, Chile, in the frame of the field experiment DACAPO-PESO of the Dynamics, Aerosol, Clouds And Precipitation Observations in the Pristine Environment of the Southern Ocean.
- Polarimetry Influenced by CCN aNd INP in Cyprus and Chile (PICNICC): An assessment of hemispheric cloud contrasts in radar polarimetry and its relation to differences in aerosol load.
- Spectrally resolved Polarimetric Observations and Modelling of Clouds (SPOMC): Toward the retrieval of hydrometeor ratio during onset of precipitation.
- COALA-Continuous Observations of Aerosol-cLoud interaction in Antarctica
- ATMO-ACCESS: Conception and realisation of a sustainable access to the atmospheric research facility LACROS
- ACTRIS-D: Extension and implementation of ground-based remote sensing systems at the ACTRIS stations of TROPOS.
- EXCELSIOR: Transfer of knowledge and technology in the framework of the implementation of the Eratosthenes Centre of Excellence (ECoE) in Limassol, Cyprus.
- Cooperation with New Zealand aiming on the improvement of the understanding of inter-hemispheric contrasts in the properties of aerosols and clouds.
Measuring Systems (constructed and supervised)
Lectures about the topic Cloud Radar in the module "Ground-based Radar and Microwave Remote Sensing” and "Active Remote Sensing with Lidar" for master students (Meteorological Institute, University of Leipzig)
Since 2006: Deutsche Meteorologische Gesellschaft (DMG)
Since 2021: Ordinary Member of the DFG Transregio programme Arctic Amplification: Climate Relevant Atmospheric and SurfaCe Processes and Feedback Mechanisms (AC3)